Home  |  Gabriel's Message  |  Reading Material  |  Contact  |  Amusement Park  |  Trains  |  Music  |  Photo Galleries


 

 

Israelite House of David - The Original Roundhouse

         

This is a photo of the original roundhouse at the House of David Park.  This structure was located to the west of the baseball park's right outfield and south west of Eden Springs Park.  Trains running south off of the west trestle would be switched onto a siding and continue to run due south as the main line curved to the east prior to pulling into the south depot.  After continuing south for about a 150 yards the siding angled to the southwest before switching into eight separate tracks: two for each round house door and one for each of the eight trains then in operation.  This is one of only a few photos showing all four 4-4-0 and all four 4-6-0 locomotives in one picture.  The boys in the photo were young train engineers.  They lived together in rooms above the round house and ate their meals at a dining room in a nearby building to the northeast that later became the round house when this original roundhouse was torn down.  This later roundhouse first saw service as a dance hall.  This dance hall can be seen faintly in the background at the left in photo #28.  Both the older and newer roundhouses had machine shops where the engines were maintained.

This is a photo of the original roundhouse at the House of David Park.  This structure was located to the west of the baseball park's right outfield and south west of Eden Springs Park.  Trains running south off of the west trestle would be switched onto a siding and continue to run due south as the main line curved to the east prior to pulling into the south depot.  After continuing south for about a 150 yards the siding angled to the southwest before switching into eight separate tracks: two for each round house door and one for each of the eight trains then in operation.  This is one of only a few photos showing all four 4-4-0 and all four 4-6-0 locomotives in one picture.  The boys in the photo were young train engineers.  They lived together in rooms above the round house and ate their meals at a dining room in a nearby building to the northeast that later became the round house when this original roundhouse was torn down.  This later roundhouse first saw service as a dance hall.  This dance hall can be seen faintly in the background at the left in photo #28.  Both the older and newer roundhouses had machine shops where the engines were maintained.

Back to Miniature Trains Page

 

 



Home  |  Gabriel's Message  |  Reading Material  |  Contact  |  Amusement Park  |  Trains  |  Music  |  Photo Galleries

 

 

Israelite House of David
Post Office Box 1067 • Benton Harbor, Michigan 49023-1067
Sitemap:
http://www.israelitehouseofdavid.com/sitemap.xml

 

 

© 2001-2017
Israelite House of David
All rights reserved.

From Accommodations to Yacht Clubs :: The Southwest Michigan Directory

Design & Hosting
Lighthouse Colorprint
(269) 428-7062