Israelite House of David - The "Hiawatha"
By the 1930's the little 4-4-0 and 4-6-0 engines had been in service for decades and were beginning to show their age. The original 4-4-0 engines had always been under powered and often required a stop midway between depots when hauling a full load to build up steam pressure. In an attempt to modernize the fleet the colony experimented with a streamlined shroud installed on top of one of the 4-6-0 engines. The “Hiawatha” was named after a famous locomotive on the Milwaukee line. This experiment was short lived however because the Hiawatha cover trapped steam and fumes and funneled them onto the engineer.
Back to Miniature Trains Page