Israelite House of David - A Colony Machine Shop
''One train was insufficient, so the following winter (1908-9), our engineers,
mechanics, and boiler makers took this little train engine all apart carefully,
piece by piece, and made other parts exactly the same only larger. The boiler
makers made boilers and the carpenters made new passenger cars.''
From the memoirs of Estelle Hornbeck,
''Concerning the Ingathering of Israel'', 1958.
This view of a colony machine shop shows a disassembled miniature locomotive. The boiler on saw horses to the right is from the original Cagney engine purchased in New York. Colony members constructed blueprints from this engine to build other locomotives. The other parts displayed include parts of this engine which were cannibalized in the winter of 1908-9 when construction began on four 4-4-0 American Standard type engines. This original engine, with a larger boiler and other reinforced parts became locomotive #5 on the M&B (Mary and Benjamin line).
Back to Miniature Trains Page